Early One-Room School Houses in Bloom Township, Fairfield Co., OH

Although this is not a one-room school house, it seemed fitting to show the photo of Lithopolis School on this page.

No. 1 School; Chaney School Land granted in 1850 by John Alspach Converted into a residence
No. 2 School Land granted by James Chaney in 1885 Later became the Zion Lutheran Church
No. 3 School; Jefferson School Land granted to school board in 1892 by Talbot and Cross School was abandoned
No. 4; Brick School Land granted 1850 by Levi Spangler, and 1885 by Nathaniel Hoy Bldg. turned into a residence - near Hoy Memorial Church
No. 5 School; Land granted by "the Leophart's" in 1820 May have been called "Heister Settlement" and/or "Leophart School"
(#6 school?) Greencastle School Land transferred to school by Anderson and Margaret WEISER in 1877 School was in Greencastle and probably not the first school there. Greencastle was laid out in 1815 by Jesse Courtright
No. 7 School; Coonpath Road School Land granted 1830 by John Bear. Add'l land later granted by John and Rachel Flood
No. 8 School; Wesley Chapel School Land granted by the Williamson's School was in Rock Mill near Wesley Chapel Meth. Church. According to Goslin in abt. 1966, all that was left was the pump
No. 9 School; Egypt School On Salem Church Road Later turned into a residence
No. 10 School; Salem School School named because of it's proximity to the Salem United Methodist Church School stood on land once owned by the Zaayer's
No. 11 School; Marcy School About a mile east of Marcy School was recorded in 1880
No. 12 School; Moore School Named for the Moore's who owned land across the road School was converted into a residence

According to Charles Goslin in 1967, of these one-room school houses, nine were still standing; eight having been converted into residences. The above information was gleaned from "Crossroads and Fence Corners", Charles R. Goslin, ASIN: 0960252614, pp 124-126.

Return to Genealogy in Bloom Township, Fairfield Co., OH