Hotel Charlotte

Charlotte, NC

"The Robinson-Foor syndicate of Greensboro, who owned the lease, had started to unofficially use the name Hotel Charlotte on their stationery late in 1923. That became the name the hotel was identified by until December 23, 1961, when it became the Queen Charlotte Hotel and later on October 7, 1966, became the White House Inn." The Hotel Charlotte originally was to open in May of 1923. The date was moved back to June, November, December, January of 1924, February and finally March 10, 1924. The opening was a gala occasion involving a banquet for the 600 stockholders followed by a dance and an open house. The Charlotte Observer summed it up. "Marking a new step of progress in Charlotte and giving the city the first shove across the threshold into the era of cooperative civic enterprises, the new Hotel Charlotte was formally Opened". This article also mentioned the hotel's guest list included Franklin D. Roosevelt, Richard M. Nixon, Jack Dempsey and Babe Ruth, Guy Lombardo and Tommy Dorsey. Motels and a new civic center sealed the fate of the hotel. On December 31, 1973, The Hotel Charlotte -- then called the White House Inn -- closed it's doors.

The quoted text in above paragraph was from the website of Charlotte-Mecklenburg, Historic Landmarks Commission, written August 4, 1982.

In 1979, Hotel Charlotte, also known as Queen Charlotte Hotel, at 327 W. Trade Street in Charlotte, NC., was added to the National Register of Historic Places; building #79003344.

Hotel Charlotte. Newspaper image submitted by Wm. A. Morrison, descendant, 2003.

Hotel Charlotte